Saint Vladimir parish was founded in the year 1924, predominantly by pioneers-immigrants from Western Ukraine. By the Year 1926, property was purchased in the Tremont neighborhood of Cleveland. Construction began and the first church was dedicated in 1933. Many of the parish organizations were established during the early years of the parish.
After World War II, the parish was strengthened by more immigration from all regions of Ukraine. The growth of the parish and shift of population to the suburbs necessitated the purchase of property in Parma in 1954. By 1959 the old Parma City Hall was purchased, moved and renovated for a chapel, which was simultaneously, with the old church, served by the clergy. In 1967, the present church on State Road in Parma was consecrated for use. Soon after, a beautiful 3-level baroque iconostas (icon screen) was installed and dedicated. For the celebration of the Millennium of Christianity in Ukraine, in 1988, an 800 square foot mosaic, depicting the Baptism of Rus-Ukraine, was placed over the Main doors of the Cathedral. In 1993, a monument commemorating the over 7 million victims of the Artificial Famine in Ukraine in 1933 was dedicated on the parish grounds.
Presently, St. Vladimir's parish facilities include a church, seating over 450 faithful, a school with eight classrooms, a library with over 3000 books and cultural displays, a conference room with a photo display of the Famine of 1933, a meeting room and church offices. The Grand Hall has seating capacity of over 400. Two rectories and two additional homes are also part of the parish complex. The offices of Zoe for Life are housed in one of the homes.
Not far from the church, at the Brooklyn Heights Cemetery, the parish administers a section for its parishioners. At the center of the section stands a 12 foot memorial which was dedicated in 1976 in the memory of all the deceased parishioners. Recently the parish completed the interior of the Cathedral, by adding iconography to the ceiling and walls of the Church. In 1997, the Church was designated as the Cathedral of the Central Eparchy of the UOC of the USA.
The parish today has a vibrant spiritual and community life which includes many parish organizations and groups: the Ukrainian Orthodox League (Senior and Junior Chapters), Brotherhood of St. Vladimir, Sisterhood of St. Ann, Sisterhood of St. Olga, 60+ Group, Pyrohy Workers, Social Club, Ukrainian and English Choirs, Ukrainian School, Altar Servers, Church Elders, School of Ukrainian Folk Dancing, Parish Library, School of Bandura, Sunday School, Vacation Church School and Parish Youth Commission.
The spiritual needs of the over 700 member parish are met by the presiding eparch, His Grace Bishop Daniel and the pastoral staff of Fr. John Nakonachny (pastor), Fr. Michael Hontaruk, and Fr. Protodeacon Ihor Mahlay.